Skip to main content

Indonesia's 70th Independence Day!

Today is the August 17 yeayy! It marks 70 years of Indonesia's independence and it is indeed a day to celebrate. Today is obviously a national holiday but students and civil workers are required to attend the flag ceremony in their respective work places. The ceremony usually lasts for like a little less than an hour. It's not necessarily a fun thing to do but when you consider the historical vibe that's going on around then it's really something you'd do without having anything in return.

Oh, and I definitely have to tell you about the ongoing tradition we have when it's nearing this exact day. Usually each and every neighbourhoods would sort of host various "competitions". I wouldn't really call them competitions because they're too not serious to be considered so but technically they're still a competition so, yeah. I don't really know how to explain or give examples about the competitions we have because if you're somebody not from Indonesia then you would then read it with one of your eyebrows raised. But basically one of them usually involves hanging several "kerupuk"s (it's some kind of a cracker) on ropes in the middle of a field and there would be a few people trying to devour it as fast as they can without using their hands and the fastest wins. Don't tell me you've actually got a raised eyebrow already.

But let's talk about the serious stuff here. You see, 70 years is not a short period of time. It's a hell lot of time. I would get killed of boredom if I were to sit in a chair for 70 years and I'm sure you would too unless you have no more humanity left in your soul. So, yeah, 70 years. The thing that I want t highlight here is that after those 70 years we still haven't actually accomplished what we wanted. We haven't made this country a strong one. We haven't made this nation a solid one. We haven't made Indonesia an advanced enough country to be considered a major force in the world. And that is indeed a fail. Well let's not get to the complicated things. Let's just make it as simple as possible. We haven't even been able to educate our people properly. There are a lot of Indonesians with disgusting mindsets on their head. They throw rubbish wherever the heck they want, they don't have the awareness to help those in need, they don't think about the nature and environment, etc. All sorts of things are still wrong here.

http://41.media.tumblr.com/aa004602b92d752c10a6c0617b1b7139/tumblr_nswd7pzoR61qbedeho1_500.jpg

That is why a agree with the slogan on our 70th independence day. It says "Ayo Kerja" which means, "Let's Work". It's a very simple slogan. Almost overly too simple. But it's probably the only thing we have to do in the future in order to recourse our nation to the right way. And therefore that overly simple slogan is also overly on point. I really do hope that other Indonesians could also take this message as serious as I do. We need to work. We have lost a lot of time but we can still do something. We can still make a change in the way we think and the way we act so that we could realise what has been the dream of all Indonesians. So it's our choice. It's mine as well. And I choose to do what the slogan says.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Speech Script: Being an Introvert

Hey, Guys. I thought I'll share another speech script today. I used this script when I was competing in a competition held by a Senior High in Bantul, Yogyakarta Special Area. I got 1st in that competition so I think this one is pretty good. And I also wanna say that in this speech script I slipped in a little personal story of mine. So it's gonna be a little hard if you're going to copy it haha... So here you go. I’ve always felt that I’m different compared to most people. At least compared to most students in my school. On break time, they like to gather in groups and gossip about someone or chat about the current trends. I prefer not to. If I necessarily have to get involved in a group chat outside my class, I always try not to do the unnecessary. Not to talk too much. Some people say that I’m shy and weird. Some even say I’m arrogant and antisocial. The truth is, I’m an “introvert”. So ladies and gentlemen, the honourable judges, and my fellow competitors, this morn...

High School: Initial Thoughts

I haven't been blogging for like 2 months. And I apologise for that (even though I'm not quite sure whether I have any loyal readers out there). But anyway, let me update you about my current situation. So I graduated from middle school or junior high school or whatever (which is a good thing) and I graduated with relatively great grades (which is a very good). I then applied for the best high school in Yogyakarta (in terms of passing grade) and I eventually made it. I am incredibly grateful for that series of very fortunate events. But I can't help but feel a bit nervous and scared of what's to come. Now I don't know how big of a fish I am. But what I know is that I chose to be in the big pond and I currently am in the big pond. Not only that, but I'm also in this pond with loads of other fishes. None of them seems to be friendly. There are threats that I might not perform well or that I might look like a complete idiot just because I chose to be among the ge...

My Not So Professional Take on Indonesia's Education System

    So recently I just had this little realisation. I was about to call it an epiphany but I thought using that word would be a dramatisation, so for the moment let's just call it a minor realisation. So I live in Indonesia which if you don't know already, is a developing country. We have so many things to be proud about like our astonishingly diverse culture and our unique culinary taste. But education isn't one of those things. Education is far from those things. Like our education sucks. I don't exactly know the reason to that. I mean I haven't done a research or anything but I might have some ideas and hypotheses to the situation. The human resource, the gap between islands Firstly, I think the problem comes from the not-so-advanced framework of the whole education system itself. Indonesia comes 4th globally in terms of population. There's about 250 million of us. And yet, our education system doesn't have enough human resource to support...